While Viagra is an effective medicinal option for men who have erectile dysfunction, it does come with a fair share of side effects like headaches, flushing, upset stomachs, nausea, dizziness, and abnormal vision (1).
Combine the side effects with an expensive prescription and the need to consult a doctor, and you have a situation that some men would rather avoid.
For those who don’t want to take Viagra or want to stop taking it for a while, there is a natural watermelon Viagra recipe that may help you last longer in bed.
Be warned, though; you will need a blender or juicer to make it, and enjoying the taste of watermelon is preferable.
How Can Watermelon Act as a Natural Viagra?
Watermelon is one the richest, natural sources of the non-essential amino acid citrulline (2). While the highest amount of citrulline is found in the rind of the watermelon, the total content range in seedless and seeded is between 3.9-28.5 mg/g of dry weight (3).
Studies show that watermelon juice, blended with or without the rind, can be a good source of citrulline for the body and can increase the amount of citrulline and arginine by a considerable amount (4, 5).
This is important because citrulline and arginine are used by the body in the synthesis of nitric oxide, which is used to lower blood pressure and relax your blood vessels (6). But more importantly, for individuals who have erectile dysfunction, a boost of citrulline supplementation can improve erection hardness and serve as an alternative treatment for mild ED (7).
While the watermelon Viagra recipe can increase blood flow to the penis as Viagra does, if you have other issues that prevent blood flow, such as nerve damage, it may not be enough to help your erectile dysfunction.
Is There Any Risk in Taking the Watermelon Viagra Recipe for ED?
There isn’t any risk in consuming large quantities of watermelon unless you are allergic to the fruit itself.
The only thing to be aware of is that watermelon does contain sugar, so if you have diabetes and wanting to try the watermelon Viagra recipe, you may wish to consult a doctor about how much you can consume in one sitting.
One cup of diced watermelon contains approximately 46 calories and 9 grams of sugar (8), which can add up fast if you are consuming more than a few cups a day.
It is important to note that while watermelon is considered a lower-calorie fruit if you easily over-consume food, it may lead to weight gain. However, there are no severe side effects associated with consuming watermelon as a Viagra alternative or otherwise.
How Would You Use the Watermelon?
While you can eat the watermelon as is, it is better to try to maximize your citrulline intake if you are supplementing for erectile dysfunction.
Since the rind of the watermelon has higher concentrations than the flesh, it is best to blend the watermelon and its rind into a smoothie with a blender. If you can source yellow or orange varieties of watermelon, these have higher concentrations of citrulline than red watermelon (9).
What Is the Watermelon Viagra Recipe?
You are going to need only two ingredients for this recipe, watermelon, and lemon.
- Grab your watermelon (a full one works) and cut it up into small pieces. Don’t worry about leaving the white portion of the rind on, as this contains a high amount of citrulline.
- Place the watermelon chunks into a blender with half a glass of water or place your watermelon chunks into a juicer and add the water once you are done.
- Take your watermelon juice and boil it down for a few minutes. This helps mix in the rind pieces and will aid in making it less bitter.
- Once you’ve brought your watermelon to a boil (you only need to boil it for a few minutes), squeeze a full lemon into the pot and mix well. Once you are satisfied with the mixture, turn off the heat.
- Let it cool. It’s going to take approximately an hour or 60-minutes to cool. Once it has cooled, though, pour the watermelon-lemon liquid into a glass container or bottle and place it in your refrigerator for consumption.
Why Add Lemon to The Recipe?
The reason why the watermelon Viagra recipe includes lemon as the second ingredient is because lemons have an extremely high source of vitamin C.
If you want to add a few other ingredients to the recipe, beets and pomegranates are also recommended for their nitrates and antioxidants compounds.