A small flowering plant found in Southwest Asia, Southern Europe, and the Middle East (1), known as the Nigella sativa, is responsible for black seed oil, a remedy that has been used for thousands of years to treat chronic conditions, cardiovascular disorders, cancer, diabetes, inflammatory conditions, infertility, mental illness, and neurological disorders, as well as, fungal, parasitic, bacterial and viral infections (2).
While both the seeds and the oil have a long history in folklore, sometimes being referred to as one of the greatest forms of healing (3), many wonder if black seed oil is a cure for impotence?
Let’s take a look at what benefits black seed oil provides and how it can help men who have erectile dysfunction.
A Brief History of the Nigella Sativa Black Seeds
While the oil is considered to be relatively new in the world of edible oils, the black seeds of the Nigella sativa plant are extensively used in curry as a flavoring agent, are well-liked for their aromatic flavor and strong peppery taste, and can be used as a substitute for black pepper in cooking (4).
The seeds themselves are pungent, bitter, and crunchy, and are sold for herbal medicine treatments.
The healing properties of the black seed have immense importance throughout the ages, as archaeologists found them in King Tut’s tomb, who ruled between 1332 -1323 BCE as the 12th pharaoh of the 18th Egyptian dynasty in ancient Egypt (5).
Other names for black seed oil include Nigella sativa oil, black cumin oil, black caraway, and kalonji.
What Are The Benefits of Black Seed Oil & Can Black Seed Oil Cure Impotence?
While not every use of black seed oil has proven beneficial for the body, several proposed medical uses have been linked to an improvement in overall health.
Primarily, black seed oil can be an effective solution for weight loss, free radical damage, asthma, high blood sugar, high cholesterol levels, promoting brain health, has anti-cancer effects, reduces rheumatoid arthritis symptoms, and may even improve semen quality in men with infertility.
The following benefits are the reason why some believe that black seed oil may cure impotence.
What is the Link Between Black Seed Oil Cure for Impotence & The Benefits?
- Black Seed Oil May Help Weight Loss. While the mechanism behind why black seed oil promotes weight loss isn’t well known, 90 women between the ages of 25-50 showed promising results when taking 3-grams of black seed oil per day (6). By reducing weight and lowering your body mass index, you can combat metabolic syndrome, obesity, and type-2 diabetes, all of which are risk factors in developing impotence.
- Black Seed Oil Has Antioxidants. Black seed oil is high in antioxidant activity (7), which helps the body fight against free radicals that would cause major oxidative stress to your body and cells (8).
- Black Seed Oil May Treat Asthma. Individuals who have asthma may benefit from taking black seed oil as one study showed that there was a significant improvement in asthma control when taking 500 mg of black seed oil, twice a day for 4-weeks (9).
- Black Seed Oil May Lower Blood Sugar. In those who have diabetes, a 2-gram dose of black seeds may significantly reduce fasting blood sugar levels (10), and black seed oil is shown to help lower blood sugar levels as well (11). One of the future complications with diabetes is erectile dysfunction (12, 13), so being able to lower blood sugar levels and manage it may prevent impotence from developing.
- Black Seed Oil May Lower Blood Pressure & Bad Cholesterol. One study had 70 healthy adults take 2.5 ml of black seed oil twice a day for eight weeks, and the results concluded that it significantly reduced blood pressure levels (14). Another study found that 10 grams of black seed oil taken after breakfast for six weeks decreased bad cholesterol levels (15). This is important as both high blood pressure can lead to impotence without treatment, and high cholesterol can make it harder for the body to produce erections (16).
With these types of benefits, taking black seed oil for impotence as a cure may work in your favor if you have underlying health conditions that are the cause of your impotence.
What to Look For When Buying Black Seed Oil as a Cure for Impotence?
You can easily find black seed oil online through natural food stores, large health distributors, and from naturopaths or those who specialize in dietary supplements.
When choosing a brand of black seed oil as a cure for impotence, you will want to make sure that it is cold-pressed, organic, and has certifications from well-known supplement testing organizations. The idea here is to make sure that the brand of black seed oil that you buy is clean, as pure as possible, and of high-quality.
In terms of preparation and dosage, there isn’t a clear answer on how much to take, when to take it, or how to prepare it. Several studies worked with 2.5 ml, while others worked with 2-3 grams, so it is best to get dosage information from your local doctor.